Wanna know what the most overused word is in the skin care industry? Natural.
Our subscribers often ask if we offer a natural remedy for acne. This is a loaded question as the definition of “natural” is not regulated and often abused. Let’s break it down here:
The adjective “natural” means existing in or derived from nature. This definition would cover virtually every ingredient since at some point everything was derived from nature. So where do we draw the line? We presume genetically modified crops are not natural but how about cultivated crops?
Look at what watermelons and bananas looked like four hundred years ago. What is labeled as “natural” or “organic” is a derivative of sorts. In the same way, we’ve seen so many cosmetic companies abuse the term “natural” for the sake of sales and marketing.
17th century still-life from Giovanni Stanchi, showing how a watermelon looked 400 years ago.
As a general rule of thumb, if a cosmetic product can sit at room temperature on a shelf for more than six months, it should NOT be labeled natural. This would cut out most cosmetic, haircare, and skincare products carried at your local retailers.
Although we do not label Clearly’s products as natural, 4 of the 5 primary ingredients that Clearly uses are derived from nature:
- Vitamin A is essential for the health of your skin, eyes, and immune system. Clearly uses an acidic version of Vitamin A, retinol, which accelerates the turnover of skin cells, particularly the dead skin inside your pores. This reduces the material which forms plugs and clogs pores on acne-prone skin. Additionally, retinol is used to rebuild collagen under scars.
- Vitamin B3 is important for healthy skin formation. Clearly uses niacinamide, the active form of Vitamin B3, to reduce the discoloration associated with acne scars, reduce acne, inflammation, and maintain a hydrated lipid barrier.
- Vitamin C is essential for the growth and repair of tissues in your body. Clearly uses Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (MAP), the stable and less acidic formulation of Vitamin C. It’s put in Clearly’s formulations to rebuild the collagen under scars, lighten spots, and minimize the damage from UV rays.
- AZA is an organic compound that is produced by yeast found on your skin. Clearly uses AZA to inhibit the growth of P. acnes bacteria, flush out dead skin cells and reduce the coloration of acne scars.
Clearly’s formulations are not stocked at your local store because they are freshly made and shipped direct to consumer.
We do not use fragrances or artificial coloring and each formulation is sealed in airless bottles to minimize the use of preservatives.
While Clearly is in favor of natural, it is our obligation to select ingredients that are effective at stopping acne and clearing pores. The ingredients we’ve listed above are well established in treating acne and rebuilding collagen.
We encourage you to do further research to find out what natural means to you (click on the links above to geek out more). Alternatively, we are available over Messenger chat to answer your questions.
Simply chat us via Facebook messenger.
More about Clearly:
We’re a Singapore-based skincare company with a singular focus to help reduce the occurrence of acne, breakouts, and acne scars.
We formulate using effective and proven ingredients in the right combinations and concentrations to ensure that they treat at the root while still being kind on your skin.
We formulate, bottle, and ship all of our products from Singapore.
Life can be hard, treating breakouts shouldn’t be.
For “special case” skin conditions, Clearly augments its serums with additional ingredients as well:
- For hormonal acne (acne flares the week of your menses): Pair your Clearly serum with chaste berry, spearmint or white peony which help to regulate hormone levels. If you usually get breakouts during the week of your menses, please flag this to Clara over chat.
- For oily skin, Clearly makes an in-house toner derived from witch hazel, cucumber, and rose water.
- For milia cysts (small bumps and uneven skin tone): pair your Clearly serum with a gentle scrub made of salt, or powdered seeds.
While natural is the trendy word-of-the-skincare-day, we must balance this requirement with ingredients that are proven to stop acne.
See what others have to say about Clearly Basics.
@amys.acne.journey Yes I know the lighting is different but look at the difference in the texture 😍. Yes I still have acne, that hasn’t gone away however…the fact that my texture has improved has increased my confidence so much. I really do believe this is all down to @clearlybasics I’ve been using their power duo for about 3 weeks and I’ve noticed such a difference in the size of my acne spots…my face doesn’t hurt as much nor is as itchy as it was.
I would definitely recommend giving them a whirl it’s the only products that I can honestly say has made any difference to my skin. The difference it has made in 3 weeks is fab!
@a_triple_shot_of_e Opening up about my acne struggle!
Most of my acne comes from wearing makeup all day & then going right into sports. Even though I would use facial wipes before I started sports, I still broke out! The more I would try to hide it, the worst I made it. I have tried everything… when @clearlybasics reached out I thought, why not try it && surprisingly IT WORKED!!! After a few weeks my skin was clear.
Now unfortunately since I have been out of it, my acne is coming back. I will always be honest with y’all & if something doesn’t work, I will let you know!!! #clearlybasics WORKS!
@beas.bareskin Clearly Basics have been with me for about a week and I’m so happy I’ve been using their product!!!!!
My fave between these 3 is the “Lighten up” one because it has definitely helped with the redness! The redness on my cheeks are slowly dimming down and the texture of my skin is so soft and smooth.
You may not be able to tell cuz pictures don’t do it justice but if you were to have felt my skin before I used their products compared to now you can definitely feel the difference !!!
@roxyrogan I have struggled with hormonal acne for over 1 year and had tried every face cream, scrub & peel you could find! When I started with Clearly Basics my skin started to clear within using the first bottle of ‘Clear Out’!
My skin is now on the road to recovery and I still use Clearly Basics ‘Clear Out, Protective Moisturizer and Lighten Up’ products every day! Highly recommend clearly basics to anyone who’s suffering from stubborn acne! 💛
@amynuramira I have been struggling with acne for 10 years. This is by far the best product. I started out with brown pigmentation (acne marks) and a lot of tiny bumps of acne on my forehead, cheek and nose (kind of like sand paper). As soon as I started the Clear Out and Lighten Up, my acne bumps got smaller and smaller. My brown pigmentation began turning lighter (reddish pinkish).
Initially, when I started using it, I didn’t really get a ‘purge’ it was just a small amount of break outs which went away in a few weeks. Now my hormonal break outs are not as terrible as before, they still appear but barely noticeable. My skin is acne-free, pigmentation are still there but they’ve improved tremendously!
Results may vary