Wanna know what the most overused word is in the skin care industry? Natural.
Our subscribers often ask if we offer a natural remedy for acne. This is a loaded question as the definition of “natural” is not regulated and often abused. Let’s break it down here:
The adjective “natural” means existing in or derived from nature. This definition would cover virtually every ingredient since at some point everything was derived from nature. So where do we draw the line? We presume genetically modified crops are not natural but how about cultivated crops?
Look at what watermelons and bananas looked like four hundred years ago. What is labeled as "natural" or "organic" is a derivative of sorts. What is labeled as “natural” or “organic” is a derivative of sorts. In the same way, we’ve seen so many cosmetic companies abuse the term “natural” for the sake of sales and marketing.
17th century still-life from Giovanni Stanchi, showing how a watermelon looked 400 years ago.
As a general rule of thumb, if a cosmetic product can sit at room temperature on a shelf for more than six months, it should NOT be labeled natural. This would cut out most cosmetic, haircare, and skincare products carried at your local retailers.
Although we do not label Clearly’s products as natural, 4 of the 5 primary ingredients that Clearly uses are derived from nature:
- Vitamin A is essential for the health of your skin, eyes, and immune system. Clearly uses an acidic version of Vitamin A, retinol, which accelerates the turnover of skin cells, particularly the dead skin inside your pores. This reduces the material which forms plugs and clogs pores on acne-prone skin. Additionally, retinol is used to rebuild collagen under scars.
- Vitamin B3 is important for healthy skin formation. Clearly uses niacinamide, the active form of Vitamin B3, to reduce the discoloration associated with acne marks, reduce acne, inflammation, and maintain a hydrated lipid barrier.
- Vitamin C is essential for the growth and repair of tissues in your body. Clearly uses Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (MAP), the stable and less acidic formulation of Vitamin C. It’s put in Clearly’s formulations to rebuild the collagen under scars,lighten spots, and minimize the damage from UV rays.
- AZA is an organic compound that is produced by yeast found on your skin. Clearly uses AZA to inhibit the growth of P. acnes bacteria, flush out dead skin cells and reduce the coloration of acne marks.
Clearly's formulations are not stocked at your local store because they are freshly made and shipped direct to consumer.
We do not use fragrances or artificial coloring and each formulation is sealed in airless bottles to minimize the use of preservatives.
While Clearly is in favor of natural, it is our obligation to select ingredients that are effective at stopping acne and clearing pores. The ingredients we've listed above are well established in treating acne and rebuilding collagen.
We encourage you to do further research to find out what natural means to you (click on the links above to geek out more). Alternatively, we are available over Messenger chat to answer your questions.
Simply chat us via Facebook messenger.
More about Clearly:
We’re a Singapore-based skincare company with a singular focus to help reduce the occurrence of acne, breakouts, and acne marks.
We formulate using effective and proven ingredients in the right combinations and concentrations to ensure that they treat at the root while still being kind on your skin.
We formulate, bottle, and ship all of our products from Singapore.
Life can be hard, treating breakouts should not be.
سواء كانت حمراء أو بثور ملتهبة أو رؤوس سوداء مستعصية ، فإن كل حب الشباب يبدأ بمسام مسدودة. يتغلغل Clear Out في العمق ليطرد هذه السدادات باستمرار قبل أن تتحول إلى حب الشباب. هذا يعني أن البشرة تبقى صافية للأبد.
For “special case” skin conditions, Clearly augments its serums with additional ingredients as well:
- For hormonal acne (acne flares the week of your menses): Pair your Clearly serum with chaste berry, spearmint or white peony which help to regulate hormone levels. If you usually get breakouts during the week of your menses, please flag this to Clara over chat.
- For oily skin, Clearly makes an in-house toner derived from witch hazel, cucumber, and rose water.
- For milia cysts (small bumps and uneven skin tone): pair your Clearly serum with a gentle scrub made of salt, or powdered seeds.
While natural is the trendy word-of-the-skincare-day, we must balance this requirement with ingredients that are proven to stop acne.
See what others have to say about Clearly Basics.